Cabinet

Experimentation

July 29th, 2008

I have been continuing to experiment with photopolymer plates. Below are a couple of examples that didn’t work too well. I was trying to do 2 things here. (1) I put some contrast into the image – relying on the curve I downloaded from Jon Lybrook’s site to pick up the details in the shadow. I adjusted the contrast like I would normally for a photograph. (2) I wanted to add writings to the images. Since it is a polymer plate and working on it after it has been developed is not possible, I thought I would introduce the text at the positive stage.

The result was not satistfactory.
First trial print of sea urchin test

The introduced contrast has lost some details in the highlight (this is particularly evident when compare to a computer print out of the same image).

Secondly, I was writing on the positive using a lithographic crayon because I wanted the text to have a hand-written texture, but the crayon was very soft and consequently difficult to keep sharp (and it tends to leave bits and pieces on the writing surface). So the text is not sharp enough to read especially if the text is small.

It’s a little disappointing, but these are lessons to be learnt – that the transfer to the polymer plates introduces contrast to the image, so the original image should not have too much contrast in it. I am also finding other ways to introduce text to the image.

Failed print of assorted sea debris

Comments are closed.